We are Kit and Ace. We make Technical Apparel for your everyday life by applying the best practices of athletic design to clothing you want to wear all day.
We created Kit and Ace for people like us – people who love to move and understand how technical clothing should perform, people who are spoiled by the comfort and movement of athletic apparel, but want to leave gym clothes at the gym. In our world, functionality, beauty and style live together.
Our concentration on transformational development lives in how we design our product and especially in how we develop our people. We want to develop the leaders of tomorrow by pushing the boundaries of what we thought we were capable of. We are working on something bigger than ourselves. We focus on creating products and experiences that keep us moving forward so we can each make the most of our days.
Still reading? Good. Let’s create some big things together.
As the Controller for this vertically integrated apparel retailer, you will leverage your extensive hands-on experience to provide value to the organization. You will be responsible for all finance and accounting tasks for the North American operations (currently international ecommerce and Canadian physical shops). You will work closely with your team to deliver timely, accurate and actionable information. This role will develop and fine tune policies, procedures, and processes that give the company a solid financial foundation.
You have a strong understanding of software and can see the bigger picture of how the financial information needs to flow. You have hands-on experience in mapping out processes that leverage software while maintaining a focus on operator ease of use. You are a builder, a leader who is solutions focused. You can clearly define goals and consistently deliver measurable incremental progress towards those goals.
- Oversee all day to day operations of the Finance department, including payables, inventory, ledger, payroll, reporting, insurance and cash flow management
- Lead the production of, analysis and presentation of financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly financial statements
- Manage, develop and deliver financial plans, forecasts, and comparative analytics
- Deliver meaningful financial information and analyses to the Head of Finance, as well as internal and external stakeholders, in a format that meets each user’s needs
- Manage and build relationships with service providers including banking, merchant services, auditors and other advisors
- Take full ownership for developing the accounting policies of the organization, taking into consideration the impact of these policies on future transactions and/or business changes
- Execute and ensure compliance on the administrative aspects of the finance department (payroll and employee benefits, GST returns and filings, WCB, etc.)
- Make use of technology to provide best in class financial support, infrastructure and framework for the company and each department while maintaining a nimble and flexible environment
- Establish efficient and effective processes for ensuring sound financial decision making throughout the organization across multiple departments, in conjunction with adherence to established budgets
- Contribute to a culture of development and accountability, manage and develop the finance team
- Maintain the utmost integrity and create a professional and cooperative environment with all stakeholders
- Be a strategic leader by identifying problems, seeking solutions, and outlining key company objectives
- Work as the finance champion within the company, understanding how finance can support other departments while maintaining its mandate
- Allocate 30% of your time to lead, develop, coach and guide your team in establishing goals and developing their competencies that drive performance
- Support the development of a culture that balances financial results and an execution-focus with a fun, dynamic and creative atmosphere
- Participate in and foster an environment of continuous learning and development that embraces individuality
- Must have 3+ years of comprehensive hands-on progressive experience as a Controller or Assistant Controller
- Experience in a high growth, multi-location, multi-channel retail or consumer goods environment is highly preferred
- Experience within the roles you will now manage, and ability to understand the details of those roles and how they work together is preferred
- Must have a proven and demonstrated ability to lead people and build effective teams
- Accounting designation (CA, CGA, CPA, or CMA) required
- Ability to maintain composure and work effectively in a fast-paced environment
- Superior communication skills, solid problem-solving skills and an ability to prioritize demands and manage expectations
- Strong analytical acumen and ability to solve problems and develop creative solutions
- Positive outlook and able to effectively receive and communicate feedback
- Entrepreneurial, egoless, adaptable, open to possibility and committed to personal development
- Ability to create and encourage a transparent, honest and positive team environment
- Results-oriented and process driven, with high expectations of self and team
Reports to: Head of Finance
Working Team: Finance
Works Closely with: All other business departments
Type: Contract, full-time position
Compensation: Let’s talk!
Location: Vancouver, BC
Please apply by responding to the email listed below and attach your resume and cover letter in either PDF or MS Word format. In your cover letter please describe how you move in your city, outline a one-year goal you are working towards and explain how this position will assist you in reaching your objectives.
While we thank all applicants for their interest, only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Thank-you for your interest in Kit and Ace!