This is Kit and Ace – we make technical apparel for your real life. We take the best principles of athletic performance design and apply them to clothing you can wear all day.
We live, design, fit and test in Vancouver, Canada – a city perfectly suited to our full-contact lives. We are on the go non-stop from 6AM to 10PM. We design clothes that can transition from city to nature, from bike to boardroom, from strategy session to Sunday session. That West Coast ethos extends to our international markets and Showrooms in the United States, United Kingdom, Australia and Japan.
We compare ourselves to the best retail shops in the world and we set our standards high. Our culture is strong and we take it seriously. It is founded on integrity, innovation, quality, accountability and continuous development.
We are committed to a culture of transformational development. We make more than just technical essentials – we are developing the leaders of tomorrow.
Anything is possible and we have big plans.
As the Pattern Maker/Fit Specialist you will create luxury product through premium fit and construction and to ensure that garments meet aesthetic, fit, construction and workmanship requirements for the design through production approval process, within established timelines for assigned product line.
Block development & utilization:
- Work with Design team and management to understand block library needs.
- Develop and manage block library patterns, measurement specs and fit samples to approval.
- Maintain block library spreadsheet and distribute to business partners as appropriate.
- Review fit intent with Design to understand which fit block to use in order to maintain fit iteration goals.
- Create 1st patterns by computer drafting or draping that ensure first proto samples meet design’s intent on styling, fit and construction.
- Maintain accurate measurement spec and pattern information throughout the proto process to ensure costing and product information matches garment and will be accurate for production.
- Measure and check samples against spec in preparation for all fit sessions.
- Create graded spec for production, which includes tolerances, graded measurements, how to measure sketches on an exception basis.
- Write fit comments that include technical direction on how to improve the fit and construction of a garment, giving the vendor all information they need to get the approval to make proto samples / size runs and later the approval for production.
- Create mock ups or prototype when necessary to make sure factory has all info to create proto.
- Trouble-shoot potential production issues to resolve for aesthetic and cost purposes.
- Through tech packs (full package) and production patterns (non-full package), manage production approval of garments, ensuring the approved proto / salesman sample aesthetic and cost is maintained, within production timelines.
- Maintain accurate pattern naming conventions and maintain accurate pattern file location throughout the approval process.
- Provide pattern and garment measurements for all styles in PLM.
- Incorporate production issue resolutions back into the proto development process for future seasons.
- Maintain all grading, construction manual, how to measure, and procedural standards.
- Smart, no ego, fun, goal orientated, and driven by Integrity
- Living and designing a life that is uniquely your own via goal setting and personal responsibility
- 5+ years experience in apparel industry in a Technical Design and/or Pattern Making capacity
- Credible patternmaking experience working with both woven and non-woven garments. Fittings experience.
- Proven basic grading and computer pattern knowledge.
- Competent experience of working with Design and Technical teams & working with factories in disparate locations.
- Effective verbal and written technical communication skills required
- Ability to be flexible in a multiple-task environment with a sense of urgency to meet development and production timelines
- Must be highly organized, detail oriented and experienced in proactive problem solving
- Strong woven, knit and sweater experience preferred
- COMPUTER SKILLS:
- Optitex experience prefered or other similar CAD program
- Microsoft Office (Excel & Word)
- Outlook / Email
- PDM experience preferred
- Ability to be entrepreneurial and take initiative
- Great sense of humour, positive outlook, and able to effectively receive and communicate feedback
- Encourage a transparent, honest and positive team environment
- Results-oriented and process driven, with high expectations of self and team
Reports to: Technical Design Lead
Working Team: Technical Design Team
Works Closely with: Product Development, Production and Sourcing, all other business departments
Type: Permanent, full-time position
Compensation: Let’s talk!
Location: Vancouver, BC
Keep in mind that Kit and Ace is a brand new company and everybody does a little bit of everything.
As the company grows, opportunities will present themselves and internal mobility and growth will be encouraged. We need awesome, hard-working people now that understand the ethos behind a start-up and are willing and excited to be a part of everything that goes along with it.
Please apply by responding to the email listed below and attach your resume and cover letter in either PDF or MS Word format. In your cover letter please outline your mid-term life goals (the next five years) and explain how this position will assist you in reaching your objectives.
While we thank all applicants for their interest, only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Thank-you for your interest in Kit and Ace!