As a Design Assistant you will be responsible for supporting and assisting the design team in designing, creating and commercializing product as we take our apparel to a new level.
- Work with Senior Designers and VP Design & Creative Direction to assist and prepare presentations for key meetings
- Create technical drawings from designers’ initial sketch or drawing
- Update the design SOP
- Prep files for seasonal workflow (templates, WWMT, sketches)
- Support Senior Designers in tech pack creation by thorough creation of spec packs with measurements, photos, technical sketches and trim information in order to pass to factories
- Create and maintain colour up files
- Sketch and design apparel based on specific information (theme, key trends, iterations of bestselling designs)
- Research and present design insights inspiration
- Attend design related meetings and provide design/customer research for upcoming seasons
- Work close to season, adhering to strict deadlines
- Add on-site comments to tech packs
- Organize product testing and collect feedback (send out samples, communicate with testers, create and own test tracker)
- Receive store feedback and organize actionable plan to solve for relevant challenges in shops (eComm).
- Help design team with seasonal trend research, layouts, and file organization
- Assist design team in creation of fabric, trim, color, and mood boards for design presentations
- Be responsible for maintaining presentation layout, set up and organize presentation material
- Assist in the creation of design briefs, skeleton BOMS, and be an expert in technical sketches and tech pack creation where needed
- Be the owner of the Bill Of Materials (BOM) by style from initial skeleton creation to finalization for buy ready deadline; Generate both style BOM and colour BOM for in house and out sourced vendors
- Help in the creation of mock ups and prototypes when necessary
- Maintain and organize design and workshop area
Product Assistance Responsibilities
- Request Lab dips
- RM quality communication
- Hot wash/Hot dry support
- Create PO’s and revise PO’s
- Entering costs into IMU report
- Help naming styles
- Assist in overseeing sample production
- Send and receive packages
- General related tasks
- WFX Owner – assist design team (design+ product developer) by maintaining our WFX information for both colour, cancellations, style creation, and style information updates
- Support Technical Designer(PD) with measuring, comments, and in house fitting notes
- Own the day to day colour work including submitting, tracking, and approving lab dips; you are the owner of Colour tracking
- Is an expert in updating AI files for cross functional department communication (visual line plans, sketches act).
- Organize and own sample library for design and prototyping development
- Help assist the design team with booking travel and related documentation/meetings
- Work shop shifts at Kit and Ace retail floor 2x a month
The Finer Print (Experience Requirements):
- 1-3 years’ experience as a design assistant + internship experience
- Degree in design, apparel, or related field
- Positive and dependable attitude
- Exceptional organization, time management, and planning skills
- Entrepreneurial skills including: creative problem solving that solves
- Advanced ability with Adobe Suite (Illustrator) software
- Proficient computer skills specifically with MS Office (Word, Excel and Outlook) and Adobe Illustrator.
- Experience with PLM and WFX a plus
- Strong knowledge of garment construction and textiles required
- Understanding of garment fit and aesthetics
- Well organized, confident communicator, experienced in managing priorities and liaising with internal teams and external suppliers etc.
- Ability and comfort working in a creative, collaborative, and fast-paced environment, adaptable to change and able to work closely with buyers and present your ideas, requiring a confident, 'can do' attitude to your work
- You must also be an effective communicator (oral and written) & team player to step into this challenging role and be confident at building good internal and external relationships.
- Keen eye for global trends, colours, fabrics and details
- Experience with Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel
- Great sense of humour, positive outlook, and able to effectively receive and communicate feedback
- Results-oriented and process driven, with high expectations of self and team
Reports to: VP, Design & Creative Direction
Working Team: Design
Works Closely with: All other business departments
Type: Permanent, full-time position
Compensation: Let’s talk!
Location: Vancouver, BC Canada
As the company grows, opportunities will present themselves and internal mobility and growth will be encouraged. We need awesome, hard-working people now that understand the ethos behind a start-up and are willing and excited to be a part of everything that goes along with it.
Please apply by responding to the email listed below and attach your resume and cover letter in either PDF or MS Word format. In your cover letter please outline your mid-term life goals (the next five years) and explain how this position will assist you in reaching your objectives.
While we thank all applicants for their interest, only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Thank-you for your interest in Kit and Ace!