This is Kit and Ace – we make technical apparel for your real life. We take the best principles of athletic performance design and apply them to clothing you can wear all day.
We live, design, fit and test in Vancouver, Canada – a city perfectly suited to our full-contact lives. We are on the go non-stop from 6AM to 10PM. We design clothes that can transition from city to nature, from bike to boardroom, from strategy session to Sunday session. That West Coast ethos extends to our international markets and Showrooms in the United States, United Kingdom, Australia and Japan.
We compare ourselves to the best retail shops in the world and we set our standards high. Our culture is strong and we take it seriously. It is founded on integrity, innovation, quality, accountability and continuous development.
We are committed to a culture of transformational development. We make more than just technical essentials – we are developing the leaders of tomorrow.
Anything is possible and we have big plans.
As the Design Director, Women’s you will develop, lead and mentor a high-performing, growing design team while managing the creative development of a clothing pod from concept to creation. You will be responsible for designing various fits and constructions from cut and sew to seamless with advanced technology and performance driven aspects.
This role requires a self-starting leader who can inspire those around him/her to achieve greatness, is creative and curious, and above all loves to see beautiful, functional clothes and delighted customers.
- Allocate 30% of your time to lead, develop, coach and guide your team in establishing goals and developing their competencies that drive performance
- Model the company culture, and exemplify our shared values on a day-to-day basis
- Define, model and demonstrate the behaviours that enhance engagement, build enduring relationships and represent the Kit and Ace brand at all times
- Support the development of a culture that balances financial results and an execution-focus with a fun, dynamic and creative atmosphere
- Foster an environment of continuous learning and development that embraces individuality
- Be a strategic leader by identifying problems, seeking solutions, and outlining key company objectives
- Use analytical skills and judgement to solve problems and frequently deal with complex issues that require in-depth evaluation
- Lead research and development of seasonal trends & sample development process
- Clearly articulate design vision, strategy and plans through presentations to the executive team
- Responsible to adhere to a calendar timeline
- Design and develop a successful multi product range and to identify and create key trends
- Manage development of appropriate product and sampling within critical path deadlines
- Liaise with customers on all aspects of design work and in turn help to develop product that is right for the customer by working with all of the product, fabric and graphic teams.
- Research and identify latest key trends to inspire and develop new ranges, and to compliment and drive forward existing product lines
- Ensure designs meet sku plans, assortment strategies and overall creative direction
- Some travel to factories for product development and conceptual projects required
- Smart, intelligent, fun, goal orientated, and driven by Integrity
- Living and designing a life that is uniquely your own via goal setting and personal responsibility
- University degree in design or related field
- 7+ years’ of apparel design experience
- Strong working knowledge of garment construction, fit, and patterns required
- Excellent skills in Illustrator and CAD tools -- hand sketching skills are a plus
- Previous experience overseeing and managing a team of design associates, technicians
- Previous experience working closely with full design team and understanding the importance of collaboration
- Well organized, confident communicator, experienced in managing priorities and liaising with internal teams and external suppliers etc.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment, adaptable to change and able to work closely with buyers and present your ideas, requiring a confident, 'can do' attitude to your work
- You must also be an effective communicator & team player to step into this challenging role and be confident at building good internal and external relationships.
- Knowledge of fashion forecasting, keen eye for global trends, colours, fabrics and details
- Entrepreneurial skills including: creative problem solving, understanding of sales reports and sales opportunities
- Willing and able to travel internationally
- Excellent time management skills, planning and organizational skills
- Great sense of humour, positive outlook, and able to effectively receive and communicate feedback
- Encourage a transparent, honest and positive team environment
- Results-oriented and process driven, with high expectations of self and team
|Reports to:||VP, Design|
|Working Team:||Design Team|
|Works Closely with:||Sourcing and Innovation, Product Management|
|Type:||Permanent, full-time position|
Keep in mind that Kit and Ace is a brand new company and everybody does a little bit of everything.
As the company grows, opportunities will present themselves and internal mobility and growth will be encouraged. We need awesome, hard-working people now that understand the ethos behind a start-up and are willing and excited to be a part of everything that goes along with it.
Please apply by responding to the email listed below and attach your resume and cover letter in either PDF or MS Word format. In your cover letter please outline your mid-term life goals (the next five years) and explain how this position will assist you in reaching your objectives.
While we thank all applicants for their interest, only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Thank-you for your interest in Kit and Ace!