We are Kit and Ace. We make Technical Apparel for your everyday life by applying the best practices of athletic design to clothing you want to wear all day.
We created Kit and Ace for people like us – people who love to move and understand how technical clothing should perform, people who are spoiled by the comfort and movement of athletic apparel, but want to leave gym clothes at the gym. In our world, functionality, beauty and style live together.
Our concentration on transformational development lives in how we design our product and especially in how we develop our people. We want to develop the leaders of tomorrow by pushing the boundaries of what we thought we were capable of. We are working on something bigger than ourselves. We focus on creating products and experiences that keep us moving forward so we can each make the most of our days.
Still reading? Good. Let’s create some big things together
As a Junior Designer, you will be responsible for supporting and assisting the design team in designing, creating and commercializing product as we take our apparel to a new level.
- Work with Senior Designer to assist and prepare presentations for key meetings
- Create technical drawings from designer initial sketch’s
- Prep files for seasonal workflow (Sketches, Templates, WWDT,WWMT, Technicals)
- Support Senior Designer in tech pack creation by thorough creation of spec packs with measurements, photos, technical sketches and trim information to pass to factories
- Create and maintain colour up files
- Sketch and design apparel based on specific information (theme, key trends, iterations of bestselling designs)
- Research and present design insights and inspiration
- Attend design related meetings and provide design/customer research for upcoming seasons
- Work close to season, adhering to strict deadlines
- Organize product testing and collect feedback (send out samples, communicate with testers, create and own test tracker)
- Receive store feedback and organize actionable plan to solve for relevant challenges in shops (eComm).
- Help design team with seasonal trend research, layouts, and file organization
- Be responsible for maintaining presentation layout, set up and organize presentation material
- Help in the creation of mock ups and prototypes
- Maintain and organize design and workshop area
Product Assistance Responsibilities
- Request and approve lab dips
- Support in naming styles
- Send and receive packages
- Support in general related tasks
- WFX Owner – assist design team (design+ product developer) by maintaining our WFX information for both colour, cancellations, style creation, and style information updates
- Is an expert in updating AI files for cross functional department communication (visual line plans, sketches act).
- Organize and own sample library for design and prototyping development
- Support our showrooms by working at Kit and Ace shops twice a month
The Finer Print (Experience Requirements):
- 2-5 years’ experience as a design assistant / junior designer + internship experience
- An undergraduate degree or diploma in design, apparel, or related field
- Positive and dependable attitude
- Exceptional organization, time management, and planning skills
- Entrepreneurial skills including: creative problem solving that solves
- Advanced ability with Adobe Suite (Illustrator) software
- Proficient computer skills specifically with MS Office (Word, Excel and Outlook) and Adobe Illustrator.
- Experience with PLM and WFX a plus
- Strong knowledge of garment construction and textiles required
- Understanding of garment fit and aesthetics
- Well organized, confident communicator, experienced in managing priorities and liaising with internal teams and external suppliers etc.
- Ability and comfort working in a creative, collaborative, and fast-paced environment, adaptable to change and able to work closely with buyers and present your ideas, requiring a confident, 'can do' attitude to your work
- You must also be an effective communicator (oral and written) & team player to step into this challenging role and be confident at building good internal and external relationships.
- Keen eye for global trends, colours, fabrics and details
- Experience with Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel)
- You are naturally curious; creativity is in your DNA
- Living and designing a life that is uniquely your own via goal setting and personal responsibility
- Willing to be in wonderment and to learn by seeking mentorship from teammates
- You create success and happiness in all aspects of your life
- Great sense of humour, positive outlook, and able to effectively receive and communicate feedback
- Results-oriented and process driven, with high expectations of self and team
Reports to: Senior Designer
Working Team: Design
Works Closely with: All other business departments
Type: 6 Month Contract Position
Compensation: Let’s talk!
Location: Vancouver, BC Canada
Please apply by responding to the email listed below and attach your resume and cover letter in either PDF or MS Word format. In your cover letter please describe how you move in your city, outline a one-year goal you are working towards and explain how this position will assist you in reaching your objectives.
While we thank all applicants for their interest, only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Thank-you for your interest in Kit and Ace!