This is Kit and Ace – we make technical apparel for your real life. We take the best principles of athletic performance design and apply them to clothing you can wear all day.
We live, design, fit and test in Vancouver, Canada – a city perfectly suited to our full-contact lives. We are on the go non-stop from 6AM to 10PM. We design clothes that can transition from city to nature, from bike to boardroom, from strategy session to Sunday session. That West Coast ethos extends to our international markets and Showrooms in the United States, United Kingdom, Australia and Japan.
We compare ourselves to the best retail shops in the world and we set our standards high. Our culture is strong and we take it seriously. It is founded on integrity, innovation, quality, accountability and continuous development.
We are committed to a culture of transformational development. We make more than just technical essentials – we are developing the leaders of tomorrow.
Anything is possible and we have big plans.
As the Payroll Manager, you will be responsible for managing your team to ensure timely and accurate administration of payroll and benefits to our employees. While this position reports into the Finance Team, you will work closely with the HR team as required.
The initial focus of this role will be to lead, coach and manage the global payroll team in payroll processing and development of policies and procedures that will provide Kit and Ace with a solid foundation to build on. In addition to ensuring our employees are paid timely and accurately, you will also be responsible for reviewing payroll-related JE accounts and ensuring they are reconciled and reported on a monthly basis.
- Allocate 30% of you time to lead, develop, coach and guide the payroll team in establishing goals that develop their competencies, and drive individual, functional and company performance
- Manage the global payroll team in bi-weekly and monthly payroll processing in Canada, US, UK, HK, Australian and Japan
- Provide leadership, interpretation and guidance to ensure employees are educated on payroll policies and procedures
- Oversee the administration of the payroll function in the HRIS
- Manage benefits administration and reconciliations for the US and Canada benefits plans
- Review and approve payroll calculations for terminations for all countries
- Administer, calculate and determine eligibility for shop level bonus programs when needed
- Manage payroll processing schedules, calendars and payroll submit dates for all countries
- Liaise closely with the management, the HR team and the payroll team to ensure a flow of open communication between the departments
- Oversee the payroll team ensure timely respond to employees inquiries regarding payroll
- Research and implement new payroll platforms/providers in international markets for payroll processing, time keeping and vacation tracking modules in our global markets, as needed.
- Ensure Kit and Ace is in compliance with any legal and regulatory requirements, including government and payroll tax remittances for all countries
- Oversee Workers Compensation registrations in each applicable province, review and approve monthly, quarterly, installments payments to ensure coverage compliance; including year-end summaries
- Manage new shop locations for Workers Compensation in each US state including communications to insurer to ensure compliance in coverage for all US employees
- Manage the year end processes for all countries eg. T4’s, T4A’s, W2, W2C’s, P11D’s, P60 etc.
- Manage the registration Kit and Ace as an employer in each US state and in each new country as we expand globally
- Build, create and develop adequate policies, procedures, and financial controls for the payroll team to ensure they are functioning, maintained and monitored to minimize risk and error
- Document processes and policies for all payroll functions and oversee the completion of payroll processing manuals for each country
- Oversee all payroll-related JE accounts, labour and benefits, and review at month end insure accuracy of information and reconcile any out of balance accounts
- Measure performance against established quarterly intentions, ensuring metrics are in place to measure the results of the payroll team
- Oversees the payroll systems to ensure systems are up to date with the newest processes and that the payroll team is aware and trained on any new updates
- Consult with HR senior management of changes to all HR programs and policies relating to payroll
- Smart, no ego, fun, goal oriented, and driven by Integrity.
- Living and designing a life that is uniquely your own via goal setting and personal responsibility
- Certified Payroll Manager Designation (CPM) essential; degree or certification in accounting (CPA, CA, CGA, CMA) an asset
- Minimum 7+ years’ experience in management and leadership in a large complex organization, preferably in a high-growth, multi-channel retail environment with a global presence
- Experience in working with Canada and US payroll is a must; experience working with International payrolls is an asset
- Prior experience and proven success with ADP implementation is an asset
- Prior experience with ADP WorkforceNow, US and Canada platforms, is an asset
- Prior experience managing a time and attendance based payroll processing
- Prior experience with ADP Streamline
- Knowledge of payroll principles and legislation in North America, Europe and Asia an asset
- Ability to be a Project Leader: Implementing and managing mid-scale projects, maintaining and facilitating detailed project plans and resolve conflict
- An ability to team-build, coach and mentor staff and build relationships with vendors, employees and senior management
- Collaborative leadership style and ego-less
- Ability to maintain composure and work effectively in a fast-paced environment
- Superior communication skills, solid problem solving skills and an ability to prioritize demands and manage expectations
- Able to manage time and workload effectively and efficiently to meet deadlines of multiple projects with varying completion dates
- Great sense of humour, positive outlook, and able to effectively receive and communicate feedback
- Encourage a transparent, honest and positive team environment
- Results-oriented and process driven, with high expectations of self and team
Reports to: Controller
Working Team: Finance Team
Works Closely with: Human Resources and all other business departments
Type: Permanent, full-time position
Compensation: Let’s talk!
Keep in mind that Kit and Ace is a brand new company and everybody does a little bit of everything.
As the company grows, opportunities will present themselves and internal mobility and growth will be encouraged. We need awesome, hard-working people now that understand the ethos behind a start-up and are willing and excited to be a part of everything that goes along with it.
Please apply by responding to the email listed below and attach your resume and cover letter in either PDF or MS Word format. In your cover letter please outline your mid-term life goals (the next five years) and explain how this position will assist you in reaching your objectives.
While we thank all applicants for their interest, only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Thank-you for your interest in Kit and Ace!