This is Kit and Ace – we make technical apparel for your real life. We take the best principles of athletic performance design and apply them to clothing you can wear all day.
We live, design, fit and test in Vancouver, Canada – a city perfectly suited to our full-contact lives. We are on the go non-stop from 6AM to 10PM. We design clothes that can transition from city to nature, from bike to boardroom, from strategy session to Sunday session. That West Coast ethos extends to our international markets and Showrooms in the United States, United Kingdom, Australia and Japan.
We compare ourselves to the best retail shops in the world and we set our standards high. Our culture is strong and we take it seriously. It is founded on integrity, innovation, quality, accountability and continuous development.
We are committed to a culture of transformational development. We make more than just technical essentials – we are developing the leaders of tomorrow.
Anything is possible and we have big plans.
As the Senior Technical Designer and Fit Specialist, for fully fashioned sweaters, this role is responsible for taking a lead role in ensuring that all fully fashioned sweaters meet aesthetic, fit, construction and workmanship requirements from the initial spec pass through production approval process, within established timelines.
- Be a strategic leader by identifying problems, seeking solutions, and outlining key company objectives
- Use analytical skills and judgement to solve problems
- Create proto tech pack from design sketches that ensure first proto samples meet design’s intent on styling, fit and construction.
- Review fit intent with Design to understand which fit silhouette to use in order to maintain fit iteration goals.
- Maintain the tech packs / fit information throughout the proto process to ensure costing and product information matches garment and will be accurate for production.
- Tech packs to include detailed construction sketches and instructions, tolerances, graded measurement specifications, how to measure sketches on an exception basis, BOM, and any special handling instructions.
- Write fit comments that include technical direction on how to improve the fit and construction of a garment, giving the vendor all information they need to get the approval to make proto samples / size runs and later the approval for production.
- Trouble-shoot potential production issues to resolve for aesthetic and cost purposes.
- Through tech packs (full package) manage production approval of garments, ensuring the approved proto / salesman sample aesthetic and cost is maintained, within production timelines.
- Provide garment measurements for all styles in PLM.
- Incorporate production issue resolutions back into the proto development process for future seasons.
- Maintain all grading, construction manual, how to measure, and procedural standards.
- Smart, no ego, fun, goal orientated, and driven by Integrity
- Living and designing a life that is uniquely your own via goal setting and personal responsibility
- 8+ years’ experience in apparel industry in a Technical Design + Fit Specialist capacity with focus on high quality fully fashioned sweaters
- Strong sweater experience required; knowledgeable on high quality fully fashioned sweater construction, stitches, and factory production methods & best industry practices.
- Drawing, flat sketching, or Illustrator experience required
- Experience in interpreting design sketches into tech packs required
- Experience in interpreting Design fit direction into tech packs and direction to international factories required
- Effective verbal and written technical communication skills required
- Ability to be flexible in a multiple-task environment with a sense of urgency to meet development and production timelines
- Must be highly organized, detail oriented and experienced in proactive problem solving
- COMPUTER SKILLS:
- Microsoft Office (Excel & Word)
- Outlook / Email
- Photoshop preferred
- PDM experience preferred
- Ability to be entrepreneurial and take initiative
- Ability to effectively receive and communicate feedback
- Results-oriented and process driven, with high expectations of self and team
Reports to: Director of Technical Design
Working Team: Technical Design Team
Works Closely with: Product Team
Compensation: Let’s talk!
Keep in mind that Kit and Ace is a brand new company and everybody does a little bit of everything.
As the company grows, opportunities will present themselves and internal mobility and growth will be encouraged. We need awesome, hard-working people now that understand the ethos behind a start-up and are willing and excited to be a part of everything that goes along with it.
Please apply by responding to the email listed below and attach your resume and cover letter in either PDF or MS Word format. In your cover letter please outline your mid-term life goals (the next five years) and explain how this position will assist you in reaching your objectives.
While we thank all applicants for their interest, only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Thank-you for your interest in Kit and Ace!